App Content Does Not Load - Phonegap

Hi All!

I transitioned from using the Adobe Phonegap Build tool to Volt Builder and have run into an issue where my app won’t load once I have it on a simulator device - I just get the background of the page (a solid color).

No changes were made to the app except to support Volt Builder. I haven’t gotten any meaningful errors when running the app in NoxPlayer and using Android Studio as an ADB debugger.

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

This doesn’t sound like something which would be caused by VoltBuilder itself. However, there have been a lot of changes in the meantime to Android and Chrome, which could explain what you are seeing.

It sounds like the app is loading, but something is stopping execution. If you put some tracing statements in, can you see the app doing anything at startup?

That’s what I was afraid of. This app was a template that I didn’t build myself and we don’t have the developer anymore. I’ll see if I can track down some more resources.

Hello, you say that you have tried debugging with NoxPlayer and ADB debugger. If I understand correctly, these will show build errors, but not javascript errors.

I would suggest a debugging tool like Inspect is the easiest way to debug and inspect VoltBuilder apps on iOS just to be sure that your issue may not be some javascript not initiating correctly.

Is there anything like that for Android? We’ve never used Phonegap build/Volt for an iOS build.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Inspect works for both Android and iOS.

The tool that @Burfelt mentioned above is only for iOS - it looks like the debugging capability of Nox Player/Android Studio is somewhat limited without making code changes.

You’re right - Inspect for Android hasn’t been released yet.

It’s not as vital, since the Android Remote Debugger is baked into Chrome.

My guess is that you’ll see some errors in the JavaScript console.

Basicly you connect your Adnroid device to your computer with USB cable.
By using the inspect tool in Chrome you should be able to find you phone.

See:

You can skip " Configure WebViews for debugging", that is only for native apps, as far as I know.

Also some Vendors (Samsung for example) needs you to install certain tools for you phone to show up as a device in the inspector window.