appStoreConnectAccount vs release/debug

Does it make sense that it tries to upload to App Store Connect (or at least checks version) when release=debug?

(I’m a bit hiatus-rusty on this topic :))

In certain cases it can make sense to upload a debug build - for instance when using Test Flight for testing an app.

Well, it’s a bit confusing though, as I tried this (thoroughly anonymized):

"iosDevP12": "certificates/ios/ios_development.p12",
    "iosDevP12Password": "blablabla",
    "iosDevelopment": "certificates/ios/blablabla_Wildcard_Development.mobileprovision",

"iosDistP12": "certificates/ios/ios_distribution.p12",
    "iosDistP12Password": "blablabla",
    "iosDistribution": "certificates/ios/blablabla_Wildcard_Distribution.mobileprovision",

"iosPackageType": "app-store",
    "appStoreConnectAccount": "blablabla",
    "appStoreConnectAppPassword": "blablabla",

"platform": "ios",
    "release": "debug"

Then it complains that I use a development profile: “A Distribution Provisioning profile should be used when submitting apps to the App Store”.

At this stage App Store Connect doesn’t know how I will use the upload.

The behavior indicates a direct correlation between the setting of “release” and choice of development vs distribution, but if Apple doesn’t accept this, why at all attempt upload when release is set to debug?

What logical faux pas do I make?

It looks like you’ve found a bug - right now a debug build forces a development profile. I’ll get this fixed.

Glad to help :slight_smile: .

This should be resolved now. Please let me know if you run into trouble in the future.

Great. Thanks.

Looks like I spoke too soon - we’ve had to revert this fix, but we should have something better in place shortly.

My hope was that the App Store credentials wouldn’t have to be removed to create a local test build, but that conflicts with debug being relevant for testing via App Store Connect.

1 Like

I hear you - I’m trying to see if we can come up with a good solution for this.

1 Like