Can't create Android full-screen splash screen

I have a simple Android app, compiling under the default settings for Android 13. I have followed the instructions for the splash screen, and have a 2732x3859 png file as splashTemplate.png (which takes more bytes than the entire rest of my app), and I have the 4 lines in the config.xml as called out in the docs:

preference name=“SplashScreenDelay” value=“2000” />
preference name=“AutoHideSplashScreen” value=“true” />
preference name=“AndroidWindowSplashScreenAnimatedIcon” value=“resources/splashTemplate.png” />
preference name=“AndroidWindowSplashScreenBackground” value=“#000000” />

My resources.json file is {
“fit”: “cover”,
“icon-background-source”: “#000000”,
“orientation”: “portrait”,
“position”: “center”
}

The splash screen I get is all black except for a small round circle at the center which is the center of my splashTemplate.png file. So the only thing displayed out of my enormous splashTemplate.png file is a small circle from the center.

How can I get that splashTemplate.png file to fully cover the screen instead of just showing up as a small circle at the center.
I have another totally different production app that has the same issue - it will not display the splash screen - only a small ‘splash icon’ at the center.

Later versions of Android have changed how splash screens work. System provided splash screens are now just use the app’s icon. Unfortunately there’s no work-around for this. This was a decision by Google, not by us or Cordova. If you still want a splash screen, it needs to be something you display after your app has loaded manually.

If you’re having trouble getting a reasonable icon based splashscreen, we may be able to help - but our suggestion is to simply remove splashTemplate.png for android unless you want it to be customized.

Thanks for your reply. The first thing I tried was removing splashTemplate.png, but unfortunately your build scripts reject the build if there is an iconTemplate.png, but no splashTemplate.png. (This happens both with and without the splash screen rows in config.xml). See this section of the log:

When I don’t include any splash screen rows in the config.xml, the build defaults to:
2024-02-06 23:07:51,401 - Output: 2024-02-06T23:07:51.149Z cordova-res Paths: (config: ‘/VoltBuild/config.xml’) (resources dir: ‘resources’)
2024-02-06T23:07:51.153Z cordova-res:platform Running android platform with options: {
‘adaptive-icon’: {
icon: { sources: [Array] },
foreground: { sources: [Array] },
background: { sources: [Array] }
},
icon: {
sources: [
‘/VoltBuild/resources/iconTemplate.png’
]
},
splash: {
sources: [
‘/VoltBuild/resources/splashTemplate.png’
]
}
}

Then it tries to find the splashTemplate.png, and aborts when it can’t:

2024-02-06T23:07:51.379Z cordova-res:platform Building splash resources for android platform
2024-02-06T23:07:51.379Z cordova-res:image Source file missing: /VoltBuild/resources/splashTemplate.png
2024-02-06T23:07:51.380Z cordova-res Caught fatal error: Error
at new BaseError (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/error.js:8:22)
at new ResolveSourceImageError (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/error.js:45:9)
at Object.resolveSourceImage (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/image.js:31:11)
at async generateSimpleResources (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/platform.js:82:20)
at async Object.run (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/platform.js:36:26)
at async AsyncFunction.CordovaRes [as run] (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/index.js:35:36)
at async AsyncFunction.runCommandLine (/usr/lib/node_modules/cordova-res/dist/index.js:93:28) {
errors: ,
code: ‘BAD_SOURCES’
}
ERROR: Missing valid source image for Android splash screens (sources: /VoltBuild/resources/splashTemplate.png)

2024-02-06 23:07:51,406 - Missing valid source image for Android splash screens
See Generating Icons and Splash Screens | VoltBuilder
2024-02-06 23:07:51,406 - Build failed 879a8653-0da8-4b5f-9820-12b3bcf86cc9
2024-02-06 23:07:52,726 - Output:

I’d love to be able to skip the whole Android splash screen business, but still keep my Android icon. But so far I have been unable to do that.There must be some magic I can put in the config.xml file. I hope you can tell me how to do that.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

I’m in the process of fixing this and it should be available shortly. I’ll message again once it’s done.

• James

We’ve got a fix in place that we’d like you to try. You’ll need a resources.json if you don’t have one already.

Add the following property to the file:

"type": "icon"

If you are using adaptive icons, you need to change "icon" to "adaptive-icon".

That should allow you to skip generating a splash screen and just generate an icon. Let me know if that helps the situation.

This move from Android/Google of limiting the splash screen to the app’s icon really pisses me off. I use it for company branding.

1 Like

We’re frustrated by it as well. We get a lot of questions regarding this and unfortunately there’s nothing we can do about the native splash screens.

We have seen people implement their own custom splash screen when the app starts, which is an option many Android apps have opted for. Essentially displaying a “Loading…” screen while they do some work, or even just pause for a few seconds to display branding information. That’s likely your best bet.