iOS App Tracking Transparency Implementation

Hi all, can someone please show me an example of and tell me exactly how to integrate an App Tracking Transparency permission request inside an app binary. I thought I had to integrate the permission request in the app’s index.html file only, but looks like I need it in the “app binary” also whatever that is.

Thank you so much, I am not a pro app developer, the more help the merrier.

The cordova-plugin-idfa plugin looks promising.

Add this code to your config.xml:

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-idfa" />
<platform name="ios">
    <edit-config target="NSUserTrackingUsageDescription" file="*-Info.plist" mode="merge">
        <string>My tracking usage description</string>
    </edit-config>
</platform>

(Note: I have not tried this myself)

The following is the message we got back from the app review team.

Hello,

Thank you for this information on locating the App Tracking Transparency in the index.html.

Regarding guideline 2.1, we need information on how to locate the App Tracking Transparency permission request in your app binary.

Please explain where we can find the App Tracking Transparency permission request in your app. The request should appear before any data is collected that could be used to track the user.

… Provided this response, are you sure the file config.xml is considered the “app binary” file as they mention? Any help from anyone would be much appreciated, thank you so much!

It appears VoltBuilder is building the app successfully, so this isn’t really a VoltBuilder issue.

I’m no expert on App Tracking Transparency. The app binary is the ipk file produced by VoltBuilder.

Did you try the suggestion I gave last time?

Yes, I tried it, but Apple is asking where the ATT permission request is in the app binary ipk file (or do you mean .ipa file?). Please let me know how I can get my hands on this app binary ipk (or ipa?) file produced by VoltBuilder in order to show Apple where the permission request is in that file. They are being really picky about it and won’t let me re-release my app without showing them that.

Sorry - a typo in my last message. It’s the ipa file.

Thanks for confirming that, if you could please let me know how I can get my hands on this app binary ipa file produced by VoltBuilder (hopefully containing permission request code in it for ATT), that would be great. If it doesn’t have permission request code in it, do I need to edit the file manually to add the permission request code in it and resubmit it to you guys and then you guys resubmit it to the Apple app store??

When you download the app from VoltBuilder, it’s the ipa file.

From the little I know about that plugin, it should take care of adding the code for the permission request. I’m sorry I can’t help more - it’s not a VoltBuilder issue and I’m no expert on ATT.